Photo by http://benvandenbroecke.be/ Copyright, ISAPP 2019.
About Industry Membership & the Industry Advisory Committee
Industry members of ISAPP are part of a collaborative, innovation-focused community that helps advance probiotic and prebiotic science globally.
What IAC members say:
“ISAPP membership expands and strengthens our scientific and regulatory network on prebiotics, which can help us in future collaborations.”
“ISAPP provides an independent voice for scientific excellence, and publishing scientific [position] papers on particular topics in the field of prebiotics.”
“The annual meeting is very valuable to be informed of the latest developments in science in the field of pro- and prebiotics with excellent speakers.”
“The annual meeting gives excellent opportunities to network with other companies and scientists.”
WHAT IS THE ROLE OF INDUSTRY MEMBERS OF ISAPP?
ISAPP recognizes that representatives of companies conducting business in the fields of probiotics, prebiotics, and gut health can provide valuable insight into barriers to success and opportunities for development of the field. As an organization committed to the advancement of the science of probiotics and prebiotics, ISAPP can benefit from such perspectives. ISAPP’s Industry Advisory Committee (IAC) is composed of representatives of member companies and serves the purpose of advising the ISAPP Board of Directors on issues of importance to the science of probiotics, prebiotics, and microbiomes.
ISAPP has strict policies related to undue influence of companies and conflict of interest.
The IAC exists in an advisory capacity only and does not hold voting power or authority over the decisions of the Board of Directors of ISAPP. ISAPP’s IAC representatives attending the annual meeting choose one IAC member to liaise with the ISAPP Board of Directors to provide industry perspective on issues relevant to the science. This IAC representative is invited to attend most board meetings (whether in person or by conference call) and chairs the IAC proceedings at the ISAPP annual meeting.
WHY DO COMPANIES JOIN ISAPP?
IAC members value their membership in ISAPP for many reasons:
- IAC members become part of a collaborative group of industry and academic scientists with a common mission to advance the science of probiotics, prebiotics, and microbiomes.
- IAC members can attend the ISAPP annual meeting, which is typically by-invitation-only. Each company can send up to two representatives to this vibrant annual event, which focuses on innovations in the science of probiotics, prebiotics, fermented foods, gut health, and microbiomes. The meeting combines plenary lectures; small, topical, discussion-based workshops; short, late breaking news talks; student posters; and ample opportunity to network with the top experts in the field. There is no cost for registration, but industry attendees must pay their own travel and accommodations.
- IAC members can connect with ISAPP’s network of students and fellows to build relationships with some of the rising stars in related scientific fields.
WHAT DO THE IAC DUES SUPPORT?
IAC dues provide support for the full breadth of ISAPP initiatives. ISAPP is a credible, science-based voice for advancing the science of probiotics and prebiotics, and its accomplishments are in part made possible through funding by its IAC members. Those companies that value science and the advancement of education around probiotics, prebiotics, and microbiomes can ensure these activities continue through their annual dues. Summaries of ISAPP activities are found here.
HOW CAN A COMPANY JOIN THE ISAPP INDUSTRY ADVISORY COMMITTEE?
Companies involved in, or developing involvement in, the manufacture of probiotics, prebiotics, or fermented foods (or products containing them) may be candidates for IAC membership. Additionally, companies involved more peripherally with the industry will be considered.
The ISAPP board of directors may evaluate the suitability of a company for IAC membership. Companies are welcomed for inclusion in the IAC if they demonstrate:
- A science-based approach to probiotic, prebiotic, and fermented foods product development
- A commitment to and funding of related research
- A commitment to responsible product formulation and communications
- A commitment to the mission of ISAPP and a willingness to work to toward that mission in a collaborative manner with the ISAPP Board of Directors and other IAC members
- Willingness to pay established IAC membership fees
- Willingness to comply with ISAPP Antitrust Compliance Policy
- IAC membership may be limited to assure a working group size conducive to accomplishing established goals
- Company representatives participating in the IAC should be scientists
- The final decision on whether to include a company in the IAC shall be made by the ISAPP Board of Directors to best meet the needs and maximize the credibility of the IAC
- Membership in the IAC may be terminated by the Board of Directors at any time for any reason, by a majority vote of the Board
ISAPP ANTITRUST COMPLIANCE POLICY STATEMENT
It is the policy of the International Scientific Association for Probiotics and Prebiotics (ISAPP) and its Industry Advisory Committee (IAC) members to comply with laws and regulations applicable to their activities.
Among other things, ISAPP Board of Directors, the IAC, and other participants in ISAPP activities are subject to antitrust laws that prohibit fixing prices, allocating geographic markets, unfair or deceptive practices, setting profit levels; boycotts, and most other anticompetitive actions. ISAPP will neither permit nor condone anti-competitive behavior, whether willful or inadvertent, in connection with any ISAPP activity.
Additionally, discussion among two or more providers that suggests intentional or unintentional fraudulent activity is illegal. For example, discussion of methods to enhance reimbursement by providing services that are not necessary may amount to a crime (conspiracy to commit fraud).
Conduct that constitutes a violation of antitrust laws is frequently unclear. There is no list of what does and does not constitute anticompetitive practice, and some practices can be anticompetitive even when they are well intended. For this reason, conversations that MIGHT violate applicable laws and regulations should be avoided at or in connection with ISAPP meetings or activities, as well as in private settings. Persons engaging in possible violations of ISAPP policy during meetings or activities will be required to cease such activities, and if necessary, are subject to ejection by the presiding officer of the meeting.
It is the duty of all participants in ISAPP activities to actively adhere to antitrust laws and to this Antitrust Compliance Policy.
Questions concerning antitrust or other laws or regulations connected to ASSN activities should be referred immediately to the ISAPP Executive Science Officer (Maryellen@nullisappscience.org) or President.
ISAPP thanks IAC Companies
ISAPP would like to thank the Industry Advisory Committee companies for their generous financial contributions to the support of the association’s activities. The scientific contributions of the representatives from these companies are invaluable, especially for providing insight into how ISAPP might achieve its aim of advancing the science in the fields of probiotics and prebiotics. The organization extends its gratitude to the 2019 Industry Advisory Committee members, listed below.
Photo by http://benvandenbroecke.be/ Copyright, ISAPP 2019.
2019 INDUSTRY ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEMBERS
- Abbott Nutrition
- ADM Protexin
- BioGaia AB
- Chr. Hansens
- Clasado Limited
- Comet Bio
- CP Kelco
- Danisco Sweetners Oy Dupont
- Danone Dairy Division
- Danone Nutricia Research
- Deerland Enzymes & Probiotics
- Diana Nova
- Friesland Campina Innovation Center
- General Mills, Inc./Yoplait
- Glac Biotech
- Mead Johnson Nutrition
- Morinaga Milk Industry
- National Dairy Council
- Nature’s Bounty
- Novozymes A/S
- Pfizer Consumer Healthcare
- Pharmavite, LLC
- Prenexus Health
- Procter & Gamble
- Sensus-Royal Cosun
- Suedzucker AG Mannheim/Beneo
- UAS Laboratories, LLC
- Winclove BV
- Yakult Honsha Co.